- Gwyneth Paltrow's personal trainer and The Edit's new fitness columnist TRACY ANDERSON reveals how to get in shape for spring/summer 2013
Sometimes, fashion pays little heed to the imperfections of our bodies. Each season, there is at least one trend that, for most of us, elicits the phrase, "if only". Take SS13, for example. The sheer trend, via Dolce & Gabbana's see-through, fit-and-flare dress – do you have the toned stomach for it, the gravity-defying breasts? Or the sport-couture trend (think Dion Lee, Alexander Wang and Peter Pilotto) – are you happy enough with your shoulders and legs that these body-hugging, cutaway pieces don't incite at least a little fear?
We feel exactly the same way, which is why we've enlisted Tracy Anderson – the trainer responsible for Gwyneth Paltrow and Gisele Bündchen's incredible physiques – as The Edit's fitness columnist. Starting with the calves (yes, you shall wear those knee-high sandals), Anderson has created body-area specific exercises and routines exclusively for us. The best bit? We've filmed her showing you how to get the moves right, which means you get the expertise of Hollywood's uber-trainer for free. First up, the key moves to beautiful calves…
1. Kneel on the ground facing forward, then lift your right leg into a 90-degree angle, with your weight on the ball of the foot.
2. Put your left hand down by your left knee, and with one fluid movement, rock your body toward the right foot and then lift your leg and extend it behind you, keeping toes pointed.
3. Return back to the same right-angle position, keeping your heel lifted on its return.
4. Repeat 30 times on each leg.
LENGTHEN & tone
1. Get on all fours and then rise up onto the balls of your feet.
2. Roll through the balls of your feet and push your right leg back so it is as high as it will go.
3. Bring your leg down and in a soft, fluid movement, kneel on the floor.
4. Repeat 30 times on each leg.credits
Words: Emma Strenner