- With pinks and peaches enjoying a modern makeup moment, KATHLEEN BAIRD-MURRAY reveals how to do grown-up pretty
My sister is on the phone. “You know,” she says, “every time I walk past the yellow rose outside my front door, I think of you, because of that picture, do you know the one I mean? You’re so pretty in it!” Instantly I know which picture she is talking about. There I am, with my long, dark-brown hair, smiling over a pale-yellow rose in full bloom, the sunlight bouncing back from the petals onto my flawless skin. In that particular picture, with those old-fashioned white borders framing it, even if it is slightly dog-eared at the
The Rules of
1. Avoid sugar-almond pastels. Instead, choose taupe shades for eyes, with a hint of mother-of-pearl.
2. Pretty isn’t bland. Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn did pretty with panache. Soften the arches of brows, blot red lipstick down to a stain and there you have it.
3. Keep hair looking natural, even for a formal event. At Calvin Klein Collection’s SS13 show, models wore tousled waves tucked behind the ears – pretty personified.
4. Use mascara on upper and lower lashes, says makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury, for a “wide-eyed Bambi look".credits