There’s a reason why this has become such a favorite on the red carpet: a metallic or jeweled hair piece instantly completes a black-tie look. At Valentino (above), gold coin-studded hairbands were placed over sleek ponytails for a polished, Grecian look, while at Elie Saab and Donna Karan, models wore hair loose with color-matching metallic bands (gold for blonds, copper for brunettes).
The quickest way to add polish to any style, a hair clip makes a side parting special. At Maria Grachvogel (below), bouncy curls were pinned above the ear, adding volume for retro-style glamor. For an up-do, hairstylist Sam McKnight (who has created a range of hair accessories with jeweler Vickisarge) suggests “placing [clips] randomly and haphazardly to bring a cool, tough edge to the romance.”
GET THE LOOK:
1. First, protect your hair with Leonor Greyl Lait Luminescence Milk.
2. Blow-dry using Philip B’s Stroke of Genius Round Brush, and straighten with GHD’s Gold Professional Styler.
3. Hairstylist Eugene Souleiman recommends not using any product after straightening, so that “hair doesn’t get weighed down”, before pinning the front sections over the ears.
4. To finish, tie into a low ponytail and secure Jennifer Behr’s gold-plated crystal headband three inches from your forehead.
GET THE LOOK:
1. Divide damp hair above the arch of your eyebrow to create a flattering side parting.
2. Spritz tresses with Original Mineral Atonic Thickening Spritz and create curls using small and medium-sized Velcro rollers.
3. Leave the rollers in for 20 minutes before undoing and spraying hair upside down with Oribe Impermeable Anti Humidity Spray.
4. Take a large front section of hair, twist and secure in place above the ear with Vickisarge and Sam McKnight’s acetate and crystal slide.credits
Photographs: ASP; Jason Lloyd-Evans